About Us

Mission Statement

We are a welcoming, diverse, inner-city community of believers, united in the Catholic Faith. Through spirit-filled worship, education and outreach, we are called to live out the Gospel in our contemporary world.

St. Patrick’s Church is an English and German speaking parish located in downtown Toronto. St. Patrick’s Church is run by the Redemptorists of the Edmonton-Toronto Province and is the national shrine of Our Mother of Perpetual Help.

 
Parish History

  • 1850 – St. Patrick’s established as a Mission Church – served by St. Michael’s & St. Mary’s
  • 1867 – St. Patrick’s Gothic Church (presently Mount Carmel) built to replace the wooden Church
  • 1881 – The Redemptorists were given charge of St. Patrick’s
  • 1881 – Dec. 4: The Picture of Our Mother of Perpetual Help, arrived from Rome. The Church was filled to overflowing
  • 1886 – Laying of the corner stone of the present Church
  • 1905 – In September: Blessing of the corner stone
  • 1905 – November 1: Dedication of St. Patrick’s by Archbishop McEvay
  • 1908 – “Old St. Patrick’s” became Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, for the Italian Congregation

St. Patrick’s began as a mission from St. Michael’s, but was given its own parish boundaries in 1861. After the Redemptorists preached a mission at St. Michael’s in 1880, they were invited to take charge of St. Patrick’s. This they did in 1881. St. Patrick’s became a center for many ministries: Germans and other immigrants, parish missions and retreats, confessions of religious, hospital chaplaincies, devotion to Our Mother of Perpetual Help. As the headquarters for the Vice-province and Province when these were established, it was also the scene of much administration and the works that flowed from that. In many ways, it was the Province’s “mother house”. The present rectory on McCaul was built in 1886; the present church in 1908.

Links

Served by the Redemptorists

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 124 other followers

%d bloggers like this: